A care home has been fined £100,000 after an elderly resident died from serious burns. The resident had been admitted to the home for two weeks of emergency care on the advice of an occupational therapist. Only four days later he fell in his room and became trapped between a wardrobe and a radiator, suffering burns to both legs. He died eight days later from his injuries.
The investigation found that the care home had failed to assess the risks in the room even though they knew that the resident was at risk of falling. The hot pipes of the radiator had not been covered or boxed in, despite reaching temperatures of 73 degrees and having been unguarded for a considerable period of time. The care home pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and was fined £100,000 plus costs of £35,000.