Managing Disabilities in the Workplace
Awards of compensation for disability discrimination are high – the highest ever Employment Tribunal award for disability discrimination was £4.7million – but yet many managers don’t fully understand their responsibilities and the associated risks.
This course will increase delegates’ knowledge, not only in respect of the legal risks and obligations, but also on how they can best support employees with disabilities in the workplace and create a more inclusive workplace.
Who should attend?
This course will be useful to anyone involved in managing people including those with HR responsibilities.
Who will deliver the training?
Our management training is delivered by highly experienced and qualified HR practitioners with genuine ‘hands-on’ practical experience of supporting employers all over the UK with their HR requirements.
What are the benefits?
- understand what is considered a mental or physical disability in the workplace
- identify their legal duties and responsibilities as employer and managers
- be better equipped to identify and address challenges related to disability at work
- feel more confident in opening up supportive or challenging discussions with staff
- have increased awareness to understand and respond to staff needs
- What is the definition of “disabled” under the Equality Act 2010 and how does the Employment Tribunal apply the definition in trickier cases?
- The different types of disability discrimination under the Equality Act
- Providing support to employees with disabilities, including the duty to make reasonable adjustments
- The role of occupational health advice and key considerations to bear in mind
- Dealing with performance and conduct issues where a health condition is potentially a factor
- Managing disability-related absences
- Inclusive language related to health/disabilities
Course duration and delivery
This 3.5 hour interactive course can be arranged for up to 12 delegates. We can deliver this session on site or virtually.
It is also available as part of our open course offering for individual participants. All our open courses that are delivered in half-day sessions are for only £95 + VAT per delegate. You can find the next available course date on the registration form.
For further details, including bespoke pricing, please get in touch using the below form.
Register your interest in this course
Submit your details and one of our team will be in touch.
You may also be interested in...
HR & Employment Law Essentials
Disciplinary & Grievances
Managing Sickness Absence