Free member benefit
Health & Safety Advisory Service
Introducing a new benefit of your NALC membership: the Health & Safety Advisory Service, giving you access to free, confidential advice from leading Health & Safety specialists, WorkNest.
WorkNest enjoys a strong reputation for providing sensible, proportionate and solutions-focused health and safety advice. Its team of experienced consultants are professionally qualified, sector-savvy and have an acute understanding of the specific compliance challenges local councils face.
This means that whenever you pick up the phone for advice on risk management matters, you can be sure you’re speaking to somebody who not only understands the intricacies of health and safety law but who has your best interests and operational needs in mind.
Preferential rates on WorkNest services for NALC members and local councils.
Submit your details and one of our team will be in touch. Or call us on 0330 058 2563.
Health & Safety Advisory Service
Health and safety should be a top priority for any employer. As well as protecting your employees and others, a proactive approach to risk management will help your council to avoid the financial and reputational consequences of failing to comply with health and safety law.
Thankfully, the Health & Safety Advisory Service is here to provide straightforward, practical advice on essential areas of health and safety compliance, including:
- Risk assessing your environment
- Your health and safety policy and procedures
- Asbestos and Legionella
- Manual handling
- Slips, trips and falls
- Violence and aggression
- Lone working
- Statutory inspections (gas, fixed wiring, fire prevention, etc.)
- Ongoing COVID-related risk management
Whether you’re facing an immediate issue or would benefit from the reassurance of a second opinion, the ability to talk matters through with a professional will save valuable time and give you the confidence that you’re operating safely and compliantly.
How it works
You can access expert support over the phone or via email.
- The telephone service is available on 0330 058 2563 and is open between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday.
- To receive support over email, please contact email@example.com for Health and Safety Advice.
When calling or emailing, please quote NALC, your name and the name of your organisation.
While all calls, case notes and correspondence are recorded to ensure quality and for monitoring purposes, please be assured that all information is confidential and stored securely in compliance with data protection regulations.
Not sure whether to call?
WorkNest is here to support you through all health and safety matters, large or small.
We always recommend getting in touch early, even if your query seems minor, as this will give the team a better chance of working with you to remedy any potential risks, thereby helping to safeguard your organisation against accidents, incidents and regulatory scrutiny.
Helpful online resources
To complement the telephone and email support provided by the Health & Safety Advisory Service, NALC members can also take advantage of WorkNest’s Knowledge Hub, where you can find a large number of online resources designed to help you fulfil your duty of care and comply with legal requirements.
Get immediate access to a range of expert-created documents, including sample policies, guidance and risk assessment templates, available to download completely free of charge.
Need extra support?
NALC members can benefit from great savings on WorkNest's One2One service
If you require more hands-on help with your health and safety responsibilities, WorkNest’s Health & Safety One2One service is the perfect solution, giving you unlimited personalised advice and assistance from named professionals at a highly preferential fixed fee.
By upgrading your support, you’ll benefit from:
- 24/7 support from your own qualified Health & Safety Consultant with experience implementing best practice within local councils, who will help you to comply with all necessary regulations as one of your legally-required competent persons.
- An initial visit to your premises to conduct a General Risk Assessment and Fire Risk Assessment tailored to your organisation, accompanied by a prioritised action plan to remedy any areas where you currently fall short of requirements.
- Subsequent annual visits to review and update your Health & Safety Management System.
- A bespoke Health & Safety Policy and Health & Safety Handbook to outline your approach to managing risk and promote best practice, covering key areas such as slips trips and falls, DSE, electricity, fire, first aid, manual handling, safe use of equipment, risk assessment and waste management.
- In between visits, unlimited telephone and email support to answer any queries, offer reassurance, and help you identify proportionate, sensible solutions your health and safety challenges.
- Any-time access to your own dedicated online portal containing all your essential documentation, plus a library of helpful risk management materials, including practical guidance and templates.
- Access to award-winning software, SafetyNest, which will enable you to simplify health and safety management tasks, monitor progress of your action plan, and view your compliance status in real time.
- Emergency assistance in the event of enforcement visits and accident investigations, to help protect your organisation during difficult times.
Health & Safety One2One is the ultimate way to ensure the wellbeing of your employees and members of the public, achieve compliance with relevant regulations, and operate with complete peace of mind.
To find out more about WorkNest’s Health & Safety One2One service and the preferential rates available to your organisation, call 0330 058 2563 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and quote NALC.
Assured Health & Safety advice you can trust
WorkNest is the first Health & Safety Consultancy in the UK to achieve assured advice status from an enforcing authority, known as a Primary Authority. This means its advice can be used with confidence across all sites within your organisation, providing a consistent approach to health and safety compliance.