We are 7 different businesses (Ellis Whittam, Law at Work, ESP HR, YoumanageHR, HR Services Partnership, Cater Leydon Millard and CQC Compliance), all of whom have been recently acquired by Marlowe Plc. All these businesses have strong reputations, providing high quality professional advice and/or on-line platforms to guide UK employers with the full range of Employment Law, HR and Health and Safety matters.
Our collective businesses currently employ some 350 colleagues, with c. £30 million revenues.
Over the autumn of 2021, we will be combining these businesses into a new legal entity and corporate brand with one vision. With a well-resourced Project Office in place, we will be consolidating systems and processes and establishing the platform and organisation for growth. These challenges will demand resource and time but the most important contribution to our success will be colleague engagement levels.
We are looking to appoint an engaging and delivery-focused HR professional to positively influence the full range of our “candidate and colleague offer” as an HR Business Partner. Colleagues are at the forefront of everything we do. This is not “fluffy stuff”; our business success is directly related to the extent to which our colleagues are engaged. We are blessed with strong engagement levels; our challenge now is to combine and harness that goodwill in a new, merging organisation.
Working with an Internal People team that is set to grow (currently includes a Chief People Officer and an HR Officer), the successful candidate will provide strong “business partnering” support to key business functions covering the full spectrum of the candidate / colleague “lifespan”. Further acquisitions are planned so the role will also demand involvement in the integration of those new colleagues.
Core areas of work & accountabilities
Recruitment and Selection
- Budget approvals
- Agency sourcing and negotiations
- Vacancy launches with hiring managers
- Job Descriptions and Person Specifications creation
- Job advert creation and advertising
- Sifting CVs, short and long listing
- Arranging interviews
- Providing feedback to candidates/agencies
- Managing 3rd party supplier contracts for advertising such as INDEED, LinkedIn etc.
- Completion the implementation and utilise an Applicant Tracking System
- Lead on employee relation cases and effectively manage an ER caseload (from low risk to complex and high-risk cases)
- Draft and manage occupational health referrals
- Coach junior members of the team through low risk cases
- Support internal communications activities (including the development of BLINK as our communication platform)
- Support in delivering a proportionate Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme
- Provide support to a full programme of engagement activities, including colleague surveys, focus groups, and evaluation activities
Performance and Development
- Support delivery of performance management framework.
- Capture learning and development trends and needs, identifying appropriate inventions
- Support, develop and coach people managers in relation to their approach and consideration of people issues, ensuring that they understand the impact of these on the individual and the business
Projects and Strategy
- Partner with the Chief People Officer and other HR colleagues to implement the HR strategic plan, projects and initiatives to positively add value to both our business and colleagues.
Policies and Procedures
- Develop contractual arrangements, handbooks and policies to ensure alignment with our culture and legal compliance
- Manage the process of communicating and consolidating the same with newly acquired businesses
- Where required, oversee “projects” that may be required including Job Evaluation and/or benchmarking project
- Upcoming projects may also involve TUPE, the roll-out of our HR software platform (Youmanage) and the further development of our Internal People department within the newly formed business
Ideal candidate specifications
- Degree educated (desirable)
- CIPD qualified or part-qualified (Level 5 or above)
- Associate or Chartered Membership of the CIPD (desirable)
Knowledge and experience required
- Experience as a HR Business Partner or strong experience as a Senior HR Advisor looking for the next step in your career
- Strong employment law knowledge and experience handling an ER caseload
- Broad general experience across the full spectrum of HR / People activities.
- Experience managing HR projects is desirable.
Skills and Personal Attributes
- Leadership skills, including influencing and negotiating.
- Team player with relationship building and stakeholder management skills.
- Strong commercial awareness.
- Highly developed communication skills, both verbal and written.
- An organised individual with high levels of attention to detail.
- Calm, personable, confident and credible at the most senior levels.
- Pragmatic and commercial.
- Diplomatic, discrete and personable.
- Proficient IT skills, specifically the use of Microsoft Office applications and HR software.
Location agnostic with travel to locations across the UK as required. Main operations are in Chester and Glasgow.
Up to £45,000 per annum depending on experience plus benefits.